Feedback Thoughts

For this assignment, I read these two articles: Seven Ways to Crush Self-Doubt in Creative Work by John Spencer and Silence the Critical Voices in Your Head by Sabina Nawaz. When it comes to self-doubt, I am a master at it. I tend to question my work and am constantly editing it before I submit it. Even if I reach a goal, I compare myself to others. This is one of the main problems I struggle with. I try to focus on my own timeline, but I find myself following others' timelines. Furthermore, I am too hard on myself sometimes. Being self-critical makes me abandon new challenges and avoid new things. After reading these two articles, I realized a few things. I need to listen to the positives, embrace mistakes, and trust myself. Although I noted these things, it is difficult to practice them in the current school system. I need to have a certain GPA, test scores, and more in order to reach my goal of becoming a Physician Assistant; mistakes are setbacks in this case. 

The one piece of feedback that I truly take to heart is from my high school librarian. She told me "just because you are not the person you want to be does not mean you won't be in the future." "Give yourself some time and follow your own timeline." Her feedback helped me then and continues to help me now. Most of the negative feedback I received as a student was not helpful. They simply pointed out my mistakes and did not guide me in the right direction. Therefore, the feedback did not help me improve myself in an academic setting. However, I had some amazing teachers that actually encouraged and helped me throughout the years. As I work at my parents' business, the feedback I received was about work, life, and school. It made it harder to balance everything. Now that I am older, this is no longer an issue. Feedback is something I truly value, but the feedback itself needs to have value.  


(Feedback loop

Comments

  1. Just a quick note to say that your last sentence is GREAT: that is exactly the idea with the feedback assignments over the next few weeks, thinking about feedback and practicing different strategies to make that feedback have value for others -- and for you too, since by giving other people feedback on their writing, you can get a lot of insight into your own writing too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man