Growth Mindset: My Exposure

I had previously heard about the growth mindset, but I did not know that it was called the growth mindset. A few years ago, my dad told me a story relating to the growth mindset. In the story, there was a father and a son. The father made sculptures for a living, and the son would make sculptures and ask for his father's approval. The father would always say he could do better. One day, the father was talking to his friend, and the son overheard the conversation. The father told his friend that his son was brilliant and an amazing sculptor. When the son confronted his father, the father said that if he heard the praise, the son would have reached his limit. Ultimately, in the story, the son did reach his limit; he did not improve in his sculpture making abilities. I do not remember the details of the story completely, but this is what I remember. 

After watching the videos, I believe I have a growth mindset and a fixed mindset. There are times where I give up and believe that it reflects my intelligence. I find it difficult to face new challenges and sometimes I become overwhelmed to the point where I give up. However, I also put in effort, try to improve, and work towards my goals. At OU, I have realized that I have a more fixed mindset. I still work for an A. My grades and GPA are what determines my future, so I find it difficult to have a growth mindset. I am definitely interested in learning more about the growth mindset, because I want to improve my way of attacking a problem. As I am taking Organic Chemistry, Evolution, and Physics, I am worried about how I will be able to succeed in all my classes. This picture below represents my fears. Although I am trying my hardest, I may not be able to reach my goals. It makes me wonder with the current school system, which mindset will help me the most in reaching my goals? 


(Growth Mindset Meme 

Comments

  1. That is such a cool story about the sculptor father and son, Avani! And the example of art is one that I think about all the time: it's one thing to put a grade on a multiple-choice quiz... but trying to put a grade on a work of art just seems impossible to me. I know it seems like grades define everything right now, but over time, the grades become not important at all, and what becomes important is what you learned and can keep on using for your life's projects -- whatever those projects might turn out to be! My guess is that telling stories can be important for any kind of life project, so I hope this class can help you explore lots of different kinds of stories and storytelling. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Avani!

    I really enjoyed reading the story about the sculptor father and the son. I was curious as to why the father kept criticizing his son, but after your explanation it all made sense. I feel like sometimes people will tell us things that aren't true in order to reach our full potential; and the question that arises from that is, if people tell us things that aren't true, but are in fact helping us reach are true potential, would you be mad at them for not telling the truth? It's an interesting thought.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man