Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology (Week 2 Reading Overview)

The story that grabbed my attention was the Beauty and the Basilisk fairy tale. I heard about this fairy tale when I was really young, but I forgot how the story went. Reading the story may years later, I realized why I loved it. It was a great twist of The Beauty and the Beast.

From this story, I learned a few things. The language and writing style of this story was easy to read and illustrative. I noticed that the author did not use complex language to tell the story, instead the author used descriptive language to make the story vivid and engaging. The length of this story was perfect for me. It was not too short or too long. The story provided a perfect amount of brevity, while giving ample information. For example, when introducing the characters of the story, he was brief regardless of when the character was introduced into the story. I personally struggle with writing unnecessary information. So, I am constantly revising and editing. Through the dialogue itself, the author was able to be direct. He described a character's personality and behavior through their actions and how they responded to others. Furthermore, the author also included a character's inner thoughts into the writing to further showcase a character's complexity. The manner in which the story transitioned from one point to the next was also something to note. The author was careful in making sure that the work felt continuous. Instead of having sudden shifts from one point to the next, the author maintained continuity by using descriptive details. For example, he used a character's thought process, the time of day, a character's feelings, and locations to transition the story. After reading this story, I was able to learn much about descriptive language, brevity, and transitions. Looking below, I have included a picture of a basilisk that was from the reading itself. Personally, I see a dragon's wings, a rooster's head, a serpent's tail, and a chicken's body. Overall, this was a great story to be inspired by.


[Basilisk by Friedrich Johann Justin Bertuch (1747-1822)




Biblograghy:

The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis (1922).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man