Reading Notes: Aesop (Winter), Part B


(The Mice and The Weasels by Milo Winter


I am now finished with the Aesop's fables! I loved every story so much! Now that I am older, I do not have the time to just sit down and read fables. I did not think I would love it so much! This time, I will be focusing on the story The Mouse and The Weasel. Like I mentioned in the reading notes for Part A, the story is on the short side. Last week, I read Cupid and Psyche, and the stories there were longer in length and full of detail and dialogue. There is a great difference between the two stories. I guess that is the point. Shorter stories allow the readers to easily understand the moral of the story without getting into the specifics.


When I finished reading the story, I wondered why the weasel did not help the mouse. What were the weasel's thoughts and his reasoning for not helping the weasel? Was the weasel being greedy as well? It is interesting to note that the author of the story did not include this part. If I choose to retell this story in my words, then this is something that I would explore. Dialogue would help in elaborating this part too. It would add the character's emotions and help showcase their personality. Another aspect that might add more detail would be to be a have a longer conversation between the mouse and the weasel. Maybe the weasel would free the mouse from the basket. Moving on from The Mouse and the Weasel, another thing that I noticed in most of the fables was the plot. In most of the stories, there was a single important event that twisted the story. That twist was what led into the moral of the story. There was no need for specifics or dragging on the story. There was a twist and then the conclusion! Overall, I loved my readings for this week.





Bibliography:

The Aesop for Children illustrated by Milo Winter (1919)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man