Reading Notes: Indian Fairy Tales, Part B



(Pride Goeth Before a Fall illustrated by Joseph Jacobs)
Hello everyone! In this week's notes, I will be discussing two stories that I loved. The first one is the Pride Goeth Before a Fall. It was a humorous and clever story. Although the tone of the story was mysterious and dark, it had a light humorous tone. I realized that I have never done writing with this type of tone before. Most of the stories that I have read or retold have had a direct and mysterious tone, so I hope to explore a humorous tone if I retell this story. Even the illustration for this story has a light feeling. It would be interesting to see if the story became even more light and clever to showcase the traders' wit. Or I could switch the roles. What if the robbers became the witty ones and the traders were uneducated. Since traders are known for their skill and knowledge, it would be interesting to see uneducated traders. 


(How Sun, Moon, and Wind Went Out to Dinner illustrated by Joseph Jacobs)

This was another story that I loved from the Part B reading! I loved how bright and sentimental this story was. It was short and sweet. The Sun, Moon, and Wind reminded me of siblings. It would be interesting to apply this narrative to a real life family. What would the mother do if one of the children "betrayed" her? Would she communicate with spirits or some magical being? Would the problem be about something so simple such as doing laundry? What is the relationship between the Sun, Moon, and Wind in the first place? Do the "children" always forget to think about the mother? Is that why the mother decided to test her children? The roles of the mother and children could be switched also! The children could be testing the mother.

As you can see, I have many thoughts as to where I can take one of these stories!



Bibliography:

Pride Goeth Before a Fall from Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

How Sun, Moon, and Wind Went Out to Dinner from Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man