Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales (Lang), Part A


(The Stonecutter 

Hi everyone! All the stories from this reading were amazing, and it was hard to pick one. If I picked all of them, we would be here all day!

I will be focusing on the Stonecutter by Andrew Lang. This story reminded me of the Man in the Moon story. I am not sure what the story's name was, but the stories had many similarities regardless. For example, both of the main characters wished to have a different life, and a spiritual voice answered their wishes. Although this is the case, the Man in the Moon's character became the moon because he was never satisfied and was constantly complaining. In the Stonecutter, however, the main character returned to his original being after becoming many things. Even though he complained many times, the voice/spiritual being was ready to help him become a different form every time. 

It made me wonder why the voice was willing to help even when the main character was ungrateful for all the help he was receiving. It would be interesting to see the voice's thoughts and his perspective on the man. In addition, little background was included about the voice. It was uncertain how the voice came to be and why he helped people find their prosperity and happiness. I would like to explore these aspects of the voice. Also, it would be intriguing to see how the man is in the future. Did he begin to love stone cutting or did he change careers into something he was actually passionate about? In addition, I would love to see this story be taken humorously. I could add fun and light dialogue between the man and the voice to showcase a humorous tone. With these changes, I can make it into my story with a few twists and turns! 







Bibiolography:

The Stonecutter by Andrew Lang

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man