Reading Notes: Native American Hero Tales, Part B


(Obstacle Course


Back again for Part Two of Native American Hero Tales. Compared to Part A's reading, I enjoyed Part B more partly because it was easier for me to digest and understand. They were also fun and different than the other readings! From the readings in Part B, I loved reading The Son-In-Law story. The troubles that the son-in-law had to go through reminded me of an obstacle course. As you can see, I included a image of a Zip line Obstacle Course to reflect this. Imagining myself going through these tasks for someone I loved seems tiring already. I guess it's the lengths we go to for love?

Once again, I had some questions. I wonder why Wemicus turned into a pike and not some other sea creature. What is the significance of turning into a pike? Most importantly, how did he turn into a pike? I am just imagining a human falling into the lake and turning into a fish. In addition, why does Wemicus test and ultimately kill his daughter's husband? Does he take pleasure in doing so or is there an actual reason he kills?

When I was reading through stories by my peers, I noticed a "Dear Diary" theme in some projects. I would be interesting if this story was written by the son-in-law in his diary. Although we would not be able to see Wemicus' perspective and/or thoughts, the readers could get a closer look into the son-in-law's feeling and attitude about Wemicus. The son-in-law's diary could also provide insight into the daughter's relationship with her father, Wemicus, and her relationship with her husband, the son-in-law.

Like my previous notes, I have some questions and possible routes to take when retelling this story.







Bibliography:
The Son-In-Law Tests by Timagami Ojibwa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man