Reading Notes: Native American Marriage Tales, Part B


(Gold Lit Lot

These reading notes will be discussing Part B of the Native American Marriage Tales. Compared to Part A's reading, I loved Part B's reading more! All the stories were different from anything else I have read and were engaging as well. The one I loved the most was The True Bride because I kept wanting to read more. In addition, this was the longest story in the entire unit, and I will be doing my notes over this story.

I may have missed a few details or misunderstood some things, but these are my thoughts regarding the story. First of all, why was the stepmother always angry and dissatisfied with her stepdaughter? Did the stepdaughter do something to upset the stepmother? Was there a specific event that caused their relationship? This leads to another question. Did the stepmother hate her stepdaughter from the beginning or did some event cause a change in heart. I was also amused by the sisters' abilities. The stepdaughter could spit gold, while the other daughter could spit smelly toe-nails. I wonder how this came to be. Also, does spitting gold versus smelly toe nails represent something? Background about their abilities would be interesting to learn about. Are both abilities affected by magical influences or did something spark inside them when they met the four young men? Were the young man the cause of the abilities? I also wonder about the four young men. Background about them would intriguing as well since the story did not provide much detail about them.

With the addition of further background on some of the characters, the story would became even more engaging! Another prominent thing I noticed was the ending. I was surprised the stepmother and daughter were hanged. I wonder what would have happened if they were not. Would they change or continue to have a strong disdain for the stepdaughter? Anyways, these are the countless thoughts going through my mind, and I loved this story immensely!








Bibliography:
The True Bride by Stith Thompson (1929) from the Native American Marriage Tales

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man