Week 9 Story: The Three Siblings


(Siblings 


One evening, Anna, Liam, and Jay went to a restaurant to have dinner together. Their mother waited at home hoping for their quick arrival. She was hungry as well. 

Anna and Liam only thought of themselves and were extremely prideful as they were the eldest siblings. They enjoyed all the food they had ordered and did not think about their starving mother back home. Anna and Liam had forgotten about her, whereas Jay had not. Jay saved a bit of everything for his mother in a plastic container he had brought. He knew his mother was starving back home. 

When the children came home, the mother became filled with joy seeing that they arrived safely. She asked, "My loves, what food did you bring for me? I've been starving all night!"

Then Anna said, "Who me? I haven't brought anything home. I was so hungry that I didn't even think of you. You were the least of my worries."

Liam also jumped into the conversation at this point. Liam demanded, "Why should we bring anything? Mother, you decided to stay home, so I didn't think if you were hungry or not. I was having fun with Anna and Jay!"

Once his eldest siblings left the room arrogantly, Jay came to his mother. Jay softly said, "Mother, I have brought you plenty. Here, let me bring a plate and show you all the food I brought for you."

Their mother quickly devoured the food Jay brought her. She was delighted by the luxurious food he brought. Never did she have a meal like this before!

The mother then yelled for Anna and Liam to come into the room again. Anna and Liam slowly came in as they never heard their mother shout before. She voiced, "As you did not care for me or even think about me now, what will you do in the future? You will be punished. From now on, each of you will have chores until you move out."

The mother turned to Anna and said, "You will make breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday for us. Since you did not think about me, you will always have to think about me when making meals."

Then she faced Liam and said, "You will bring groceries from now on, because you didn't want to bring anything for me. Now you will always bring me something."

From that day forward, Anna and Liam's full time jobs were making and preparing food. They realized how badly they treated their mother. Now, they would even go above and beyond in caring for their mother.

And Jay peacefully lived his life while still caring for his mother and having fun.




Author's note:
In my story, I remained original to the plot; however, I made a few changes. Instead of having the Sun, Moon, and Wind as the main characters, I replaced them with humans. I wanted a realistic take on the story, and I was inspired by my daily struggles. I love to cook, but I hate it when I have plenty of work to do. The punishments Anna and Liam reflected what I dislike when I am busy- cooking food and grocery shopping. In addition, I made the mother more demanding and strict and suddenly changed her personality from one section to the next. I hope the readers enjoy the story!


Bibliography:
How Sun, Moon, and Wind Went Out to Dinner from Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Comments

  1. Hi Avani!
    Great story! I have read quite a few stories based on the same reading. I love how you approached this story more realistically. It was very easy to envision and showed the importance of being selfless. I wonder if they older two children will ever be forgiven by their mother. Overall, I liked the layout and story. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Avani,

    I liked the story telling style you used. You brought the characters to life for the readers to relate to. I did wonder who the mother of the Sun, Moon, and Wind was from the main story. I also liked that you related the story to yourself in the punishment aspect. I agree that cooking isn't much fun when you have more pressing things to do. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Avani, I feel that at the beginning, you dived into your story too quickly, which made me very confused about the character's relations to each other the first time I read through your story. I recommend that you start by introducing Anna, Liam, and Jay as siblings, so readers aren't confused when you add the mother. Along which, why didn't the mother go to the restaurant with her children? You have a solid plotline, but I recommend that you make sure to add in the context.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Avani!
    I loved how you started with a picture instead of just starting directly with the story. Having the picture at the beginning instead of the end really adds a new element to the story. I have never thought about doing that, but I might try it next week! I loved reading this story and seeing the changes you made, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man