Reading Notes: Indian Fairy Tales, Part A

(The Broken Pot by John D. Batten) 

Hello everyone! My readings notes for Part A will discuss The Broken Pot from the source Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs. When I first saw the illustration, it intrigued me. I wondered what the story would be about. All I saw was a broken pot pouring an unknown liquid on a man. This story was quick and simple without being abrupt. The sentences were not as descriptive as the previous stories that I did notes over. It also briefly focused on the setting and main character. However, the internal dialogue that the author had showcased the character's thoughts and personality. The internal dialogue was about the future and the main character's hopes and dreams. In reality, the main character was only laying on the couch. When the character got ahead of himself, reality happened. His plans for his rice pot was ruined. This goes to show that one must not become overconfident and things do not always happen in the order they are supposed to.

If I retold this story in my own words, I would like to explore the man's future after he broke his pot and ruined his plans. My goal is to make it something dramatic or something completely different. The ending in the original story was direct and left the audience wondering what happened to the man in the future. Did he still accomplish his plans? Did the man follow a different plan? How did he survive after his main source of income (rice) was wasted? However, the abrupt ending allowed readers to make their own conclusion.  I attempted to change the ending in one of my previous stories, but I think I was too abrupt. So, I plan to use these notes and the original story to improve making endings without making it too quick.


Bibliography:

The Broken Pot from Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Physician Assistant

Week 7 Story: The Rice and The Man